Mike is the only person in Texas history to serve as chief of staff for two Texas Governors. Former three-term Texas House member and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. Named one of Texas top lobbyists in the 2015 Lobby Power Rankings.
Partner – Texas Lobby Group
- Ranked the Top Hired Gun Lobbyist in 2011 by Capitol Inside.
“Mr. Toomey . . . is now considered the leading business lobbyist in Texas.” New York Times, 2011
Immediate Past Positions:
Chief of Staff to Governors Rick Perry and Bill Clements 2002 – 2004; 1989 – 1990
- Only individual in Texas History to be Chief of Staff for Two Texas Governors.
- Chief of Staff to Governor Rick Perry: 2002-2004
“Mike Toomey brought incredible talent, expertise and focus to my staff and was a major factor in the successes of the 2003 legislative session.” – Governor Rick Perry, Press Release, Sept 3, 2004.
- Chief of Staff to former Governor Bill Clements: 1989-1990
“His hard work contributed significantly to the success of the regular session this year.” – Governor Bill Clements, Dallas Morning News, 1989
State Representative, HD 135 – Houston, Texas 1983 – 1988
- Named the Best House Freshman by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Judiciary and Urban Affairs Committees
- Named one of the Ten Best Legislators by Texas Monthly Magazine.
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Dedicated State Funds
- Appropriations Committee
- Conference Committee on Appropriations Bill
- Judiciary Committee
- Named one of the Seven Best Legislators by the Dallas Morning News.
- Chairman, Judiciary Committee
- Natural Resources Committee
- House Sponsor of successful Tort Reform legislation.
South Texas College of Law, Juris Doctor, 1976
Baylor University, Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, 1972
Civic Activities, Achievements, & Awards
- Former Chairman of the Board – West Houston Chamber of Commerce
- Optimist Club President
- Recipient American Tort Reform Association, “Tort Reformer” 1987
- Rated One of the Top Five Hired Gun Lobbyists by Capitol Inside every year since entering the profession.
Newspaper and Magazine Comments about Mike Toomey
“Austin lobbyist Mike Toomey and political guru Dave Carney have long been linked as architects of Republican politics in Texas.”
“Mr. Toomey, Mr. Perry’s former chief of staff, is now considered the leading business lobbyist in Texas.”
“…it should come as no surprise that no one is rated higher on Capitol Inside’s Texas Lobby Power Rankings for 2011.”
Hailey, Capitol Inside, 2011.
“Mr. Toomey has turned his robust lobbying business into a political force in the state”
“Under Toomey’s guidance, that vanguard of political professionals helped undertake the complete Republican takeover of state government.”
“A man who had always been known for his intensity and hard work…”
Dave McNeely, Austin American Statesman, August 26, 2001
“Toomey was such a key budget-cutting member of the House Appropriations Committee during the economic turndown in Texas caused by the oil bust..”
“…Texas Monthly magazine named him one of 10 top legislators.”
“Toomey was the first real tort reformer. He started the crusade, and he was successful.”
“There’s nobody who works harder, studies the issues more and is more determined. He is a tough, tough negotiator.”
“Toomey read every single bill that was filed. And I don’t mean skimmed’em.”
“He has once again served the state tirelessly, and I am grateful for his dedication to serving the people of Texas.”
“…had all the qualities essential to mastering this most difficult of legislative arts: industry, inspiration, a mind for detail, and objectivity.”
“….Toomey has accumulated the skill and will to influence every issue of consequence. Toomey brings to the job a work ethic that has been legendary since 1985..”
“He approaches issues with a zeal and tenacity that even his detractors admire. Everything about him speaks of discipline.”
“Toomey does his homework, argues his points and carries voluminous knowledge on a wide range of issues…”
The 7 Best, Dallas Morning News, June 2, 1987
“His hard work contributed significantly to the success of the regular session this year.”
“For the past twenty years, Mike Toomey has loomed large in state government,…as the Capitol’s premier business lobbyist…With his encyclopedic knowledge of state government…”